The school governors are people who want to make a positive contribution to the education of all children at Manor Farm Community Junior School; they are all volunteers and have an important part to play in raising school standards. The role of the governing body is absolutely key to the effectiveness of a school. Time and time again Ofsted (the national inspection body for schools) has noted that the most effective schools demonstrate effective leadership and management – including by the governing body.
School governors provide strategic leadership and accountability in the school. They appoint the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher. It is governors who hold the main responsibility for finance in schools, and it is governors who work with the Headteacher to make the tough decisions about balancing resources.
The body meet as a Full Governing Body once every term. This meeting has a focus on ensuring that all legislative procedures are being carried out and adhered to. In addition they all meet, also once a term, as a full body to discuss how the school is progressing and how it could improve and develop.
There are also sub-committees, for ‘Finance and Resources’ and also for ‘Teaching and Learning’. These committees also meet once a term and discuss relevant issues and impact of actions, relating to the relevant group. The Headteacher attends all these meetings and discuses and informs Governors on all matters. Part of the Governor role is to challenge the Head on the information they are given. Governors also talk to other members of staff to validate what they have been told by the Head.
Individual Governors have areas of responsibility, perhaps for the curriculum or related to Safeguarding. This involves them speaking to relevant staff members and writing reports so all Governors are made aware of what is happening in the school.
The school governing body comprises of the following people and can be contacted via the school office or by emailing email@example.com:
- Mr Nick Hunt (Chair of Governors), Mrs Mandy Lewis (Vice-Chair of Governors)
- Mr Graham Innes (Chair of Finance & Resources) & Mrs Ellie Cheshire (Chair of Teaching & Learning)
- Mrs Ana Buron, Mrs Helen Matthews, Mr David Teasdale, Mr John McSherry, Mr Steve Sinden,
- Mrs Lisa Cornwell-Webb
- Mr Andrew Sierant, (Headteacher), Mrs Gemma Hillier, (Deputy Headteacher)
- The Clerk to the Governing Body is Mrs Ann Downie
Governor Roles and a Register of Interests
|Name||Type||Role||Committee||Responsibility||Start Date||End of Office||Meetings *||Business Interests||Relevant Relations|
|Nick Hunt||Co-opt||Chair||PRC||Development, School Council, Safeguarding, Performance Management 9Head)||24/11/14||23/11/22||9||None||None|
|Mandy Lewis||Parent||Vice Chair||T&L||Pupil Premium & English||01/10/14||08/10/22||9||None||None|
|Graham Innes||Co-opt||Chair Finance & Resources (F&R)||F&R, PRC||Performance Management (Head)||24/11/14||23/11/22||10||None||None|
|Helen Matthews||Co-opt||T & L; PRC||Maths||25/01/16||24/01/20||8 (3)||None||None|
|Ellie Cheshire||Co-opt||Chair Teaching & Learning (T&L)||T&L,||Equalities, SEND, Performance Management (Head)||24/11/14||23/11/22||11||Bucks Learning Trust||None|
|John McSherry||Co-opt||F & R||Health and Safety||22/05/18||21/05/22||9||None||None|
|Ana Buron||Parent||F&R||Computing, PSHE/SMSC, Modern Foreign Languages.||02/10/18||11/10/22||8 (2)||None||None|
|David Teasdale||Co-opt||T&L||Science||28/09/15||27/09/19||8 (1)||None||None|
|Steve Sinden||Co-opt||F&R||Assessment||09/10/18||08/10/22||5 (2)||None||None|
|Andrew Sierant||Head||T&L, F&R, PRC||01/01/14||31/12/24||12||None||None|
|Ann Downie||LA Clerk||Clerk||Clerk to FGB, Finance & Resources Committees||20/11/01||7||None||None|
- Employee Grievance, Complaints Panel, Pay Review & Staff Dismissal Appeal Committees are made up of any three Governors with no prior knowledge called on by the Chair of Governors.
- Business Interests are Directorships, partnerships and employments with businesses that provide goods or services to the school and details of any other educational establishments governed.
- Relevant Relations are those between governors and members of the school staff including spouses, partners and relatives.
- All Terms of Office are 4 years
- Meetings* = Number of scheduled committee meetings carried out (and those missed in brackets) in last school year
Full Governing Body Meetings
We are more than happy for parents to gain a better understanding of the issues and outcomes of our meetings.